Thursday, July 13, 2017

- BOTH SIDES, NOW - Joni Mitchell - Bows and flows of angel hair And ice cream castles in the air And feather canyons everywhere, I've looked at clouds that way. But now they only block the sun, They rain and they snow on everyone So many things I would have done, But clouds got in my way.

Both Sides, 
Now
Song by Joni Mitchell
First recorded by Judy Collins
Album: Wildflowers.
JUDY COLLINS with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops 1976


lyrics
Bows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere, 

I've looked at clouds that way.

But now they only block the sun,
They rain and they snow on everyone
So many things I would have done,
But clouds got in my way.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now

From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels,
The dizzy dancing way that you feel
As every fairy tale comes real,
I've looked at love that way.

But now it's just another show,
You leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know,
Don't give yourself away.

I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall
I really don't know love at all


Tears and fears and feeling proud,
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds,
I've looked at life that way.

Oh but now old friends they're acting strange,
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

I've looked at life from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life
I really don't know life at all
Both Sides, Now" is a song by Joni Mitchell, and one of her best-known songs. First recorded by Judy Collins in 1967, it subsequently appeared on Mitchell's 1969 album Clouds. She re-recorded the song in a lusher, orchestrated version for her 2000 album Both Sides Now; this version was subsequently featured on the soundtrack to the 2003 film Love Actually and was performed by Sara Bareilles during the 89th Academy Awards' In Memoriam homage.
Collins' version became a top-ten hit on the U.S. singles chart during the fall of 1968.
Judy Collins recorded the first commercially released version of the song, shortly after Mitchell wrote it, for her 1967 Wildflowers album. In October 1968 it was released as a single, reaching #8 on the U.S. pop singles charts by December. It reached #6 in Canada. In early 1969 it won a Grammy Awardfor Best Folk Performance. The record peaked at #3 on Billboard's Easy Listening survey and "Both Sides, Now" has become one of Collins' signature songs.
Rolling Stone ranked "Both Sides, Now" #171 on its list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. 
 
 

 










 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment