Saturday, July 1, 2017

- SUNSHINE ON MY SHOULDERS - John Denver - Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry Sunshine on the water looks so lovely Sunshine almost always makes me high


Sunshine On My 

Shoulders
Written By Dick Kniss & John Denver
Produced by Milt Okun
Album: Poems, Prayers & Promises
Cover By: Carly Rae Jepsen

John Denver's first live album, An Evening with John Denver (1975)




lyrics
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high


If I had a day that I could give you
I'd give to you the day just like today
If I had a song that I could sing for you
I'd sing a song to make you feel this way

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high

If I had a tale that I could tell you
I'd tell a tale sure to make you smile
If I had a wish that I could wish for you
I'd make a wish for sunshine for all the while

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry

Sunshine on the water looks so lovely

Sunshine almost always makes me high

Sunshine almost all the time makes me 
high
Sunshine almost always


According to John Denver about the song:
I wrote the song in Minnesota at the time I call ‘late winter, early spring.’ It was a dreary day, gray and slushy. The snow was melting and it was too cold to go outside and have fun, but God, you’re ready for spring. You want to get outdoors again and you’re waiting for that sun to shine, and you remember how sometimes the sun itself can make you feel good. And in that very melancholy frame of mind, I wrote ‘Sunshine On My Shoulders’.

John Denver wrote this song on an early spring day in Minnesota when the rain was gently falling. He found himself looking forward to spending more time outdoors and enjoying the sunshine. He said of the song, "On one level it was about the virtues of love. On another, more deeply felt level, it reached for something the whole world could embrace."
This song first appeared on John Denver's 1971 album Poems, Prayers & Promises. Denver was a struggling singer/songwriter at the time who was enjoying his first solo hit "Take Me Home Country Roads," which was released a few months before the album and was climbing the charts. Over the next few years, Denver found an audience with his heartwarming, spiritual songs that dealt with finding pleasure in the simple things. "Sunshine" was revived in 1973 when it was used as the B-side of Denver's single "I'd Rather Be a Cowboy," which reached #62 in the US. Later that year, "Sunshine On My Shoulders" was issued as an A-side single, and for a week in February 1974, it was the #1 song in America. Seems the United States was in a kinder, happier mood at the time, as the next #1 was "Hooked On A Feeling" by Blue Swede.
This song got a big boost when it was used in a November 1973 made-for-TV movie called Sunshine, a weeper about a woman dying of cancer who recorded messages for her family in her final days. The concept was used in a spin-off series the next year, also called Sunshine.
Denver said of the original TV movie: "It was the true story of Lyn Helton, an incredibly courageous lady who chose to live her short life to the fullest even though she knew she would die of a rare bone cancer in a matter of months. It seems that in the last year of her life she found some happiness in my music. I was most honored to have my songs used as part of that television show."
This was used in the 1994 episode of The Simpsons called "Bart of Darkness." It also appeared in a 2005 episode of the showCold Case.
Denver wrote this song with his lead guitarist Mike Taylor and bass player Richard Kniss. Taylor also co-wrote "Rocky Mountain High" with Denver.

John Denver's first live album, An Evening with John Denver (1975), was a lavish two-LP set accompanying a network TV special, released at his commercial peak. His second live album, The Wildlife Concert, is a lavish two-CD set accompanying a cable TV special and home video, released at his commercial trough. Denver performs most of his Top Ten hits from the '70s (but not "Thank God I'm a Country Boy," the big hit off the last live album), getting the bulk of them out of the way early on the first disc. He adds some well-chosen covers by folk peers such as David Mallett (the antiwar "You Say the Battle Is Over") and Tom Paxton ("Bet on the Blues"), selects some of his better, if less familiar, songs of the last decade ("The Harder They Fall," "Falling Out of Love"), and introduces new material touching on his favorite romantic ("Is It Love?") and political/philosophical ("Amazon") themes. With such a balanced set list, he manages to revitalize the best of his catalog, reassert his folk roots, and, to an extent, redefine himself


 















No comments:

Post a Comment