Thursday, October 27, 2016

CHRISTIAN - What is a True Christian? People would often consider themselves “Christians” if they are religious, if they were brought up in a religious family, if they go to church, or if they live in a “Christian” nation.


What is a True Christian?

If you ask 100 people “What a true Christian is” you might be  surprised to get 100 different answers.
People would often consider themselves “Christians” if they are religious, if they were brought up in a religious family, if they go to church, or if they live in a “Christian” nation.
But would all these make someone a “true Christian”? 
The basic definition of a Christian is a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ or someone who is a proponent of the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. 
Over time, a common definition of a “Christian” has changed to someone who is religious or displays refined moral ethics.
The Bible has a lot to say about a “true Christian” – a true follower of Jesus Christ.
The word “Christian” is only used three times in the Bible:
.
In Acts 11:26,the believers of Jesus were first called “Christians” because their actions resembled Jesus’ behavior.
“ . . . a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught.” Acts 11:26 (ESV)
.

The word “Christian” is also used in 

“And Agrippa said to Paul, ‘In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?’” Acts 26:28 (ESV)
.
And associated with suffering in
“Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.” 1 Peter 4:16  (ESV)   . ..
The Bible presents a true follower of Christ as one who has been “born again.“ 
In John 3:3 Jesus says to Nicodemus, Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
.
This may seem like a crazy statement. You’re right!
.
It was also considered crazy by the man Jesus was talking to in this passage. The man was “a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.”
.
Nicodemus asked Jesus, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?”
.
The phrase “born again” literally means “born from above.” It indicates a change in one’s heart - a spiritual transformation of someone’s life.
What are the results of being “born again”
.
Being “born again” has  eternal significance:
- Belief in Jesus Christ, and receiving Him into their lives. 
“But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,” John 1:12 (ESV)  
- A realization of one’s sinful condition. 
“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” Romans 3:23 (ESV)
- A realization that sin results in spiritual death, or an eternal separation from God:
“For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23 (ESV)       
- Belief that Jesus died for his sins. 
“but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”  Romans 5:8 (ESV)        
.
The Bible says that even though we deserve the death penalty for our sin, Jesus took that penalty upon Himself, by dying in our place. Three days later, He rose from the dead, proving that sin had been conquered and has no hold on Him.
.
- Faith in the finished work of Jesus on the cross as payment for our sins.
“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”  Ephesians 2:8 (ESV)
We cannot do enough good deeds to work our way into heaven. Salvation is a free gift of God.
What are the characteristics of a true Christian?
The Bible says that a true Christian has the following characteristics:
- A true Christian is a new creation 

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” 2 Corinthians 5:17 (ESV)

.
The “old” things refer to everything that was part of his old nature - pride, self-exaltation, love of sin, negative habits, evil passions.
.
True Christians do not inherit the new nature. Nor do they re-create themselves a new nature. God does not simply clean up and recycle the old fleshly nature; He creates something new, entirely fresh and unique.
- A true Christian is dead to sin 
“So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.”  Romans 6:11 (ESV)
.
A life of sin does not define the true Christian. He may still struggle with sin. He is still a sinner, but he is one running away from sin. He senses conviction by the Holy Spirit, repents and seeks restoration of fellowship through confession.
- The Holy Spirit conforms a true Christian to the image
of Christ. 
The Holy Spirit produces “fruit” in the life of the true believer. 
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” Galatians 5:22 (ESV)
.

- God calls the true Christian to live a holy life, a “living sacrifice”

“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:1 (ESV)

- The true Christian is anointed by God
"To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours…" 1 Corinthians 1:2 (ESV)
.
The Bible defines the Christian saint as anyone who follows Jesus. 
.
Every Christian is set apart from the world, to do good works through Jesus.
.
The term "saint" is a reflection of the changes God makes in us, not our success in embodying those changes.
.
A saint is not someone who is particularly pious, whose prayers cause miracles, or who sacrifices a great deal for his faith.

.
According to the Bible, a saint is just someone who has accepted Christ as his Savior. Holiness is a requirement for the Christian. “Without holiness no one will see the Lord” (Hebrews 12:14).
.
The difference between God and us is that He is inherently holy while we, on the other hand, only become holy in relationship to Christ. 
.
To be “holy” means that we are “set apart for honorable use.”

A true Christian studies and obeys God’s Word – the Bible. 
“22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.” James 1:22 (ESV)
.
- True Christians love one another. 
“34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35 (ESV)
.
Would you want God to change your life?
God has made it possible for you to know Him and experience an amazing change in your own life through a relationship with His Son, Jesus Christ, and have eternal life.
Say the following prayer:.

“Father God, I confess I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You.
I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and live a new life pleasing to You.
Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again.
I believe that Your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer.
I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Thank You that according to Your Word, I am now born again.
Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. I promise to study Your Word – the Bible.
Use me for Your glory.
In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.” 

RELATED POSTS:

Examine Yourself
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
http://puricarefiles.blogspot.com/2016/10/are-you-christian-you-need-to-examine.html
.
.
.
How far can Christians go in sinning?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Key Differences Between The Christian And Muslim Heaven
.
.
.
    “Just as I am”

              Charlotte Elliott    


lyrics
Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bid’st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!
Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot;
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt;
Fightings within, and fears without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind;
Yes, all I need, in Thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now, to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment