Tuesday, May 31, 2016

LIMBO is “a zone which exists between two definite places.” The Bible does not give the name “limbo” to any specific place or realm, but various people have used the word “limbo” in various ways.

Does the Bible teach about Limbo? What would happen to the souls of unbaptized children in Limbo?
According to the Catholic encyclopedia, in theological usage the name Limbo is applied to:
(a) the temporary place or state of the souls of the just who, although purified from sin, were excluded from the beatific vision until Christ's triumphant ascension into Heaven (the "limbus patrum"); or
(b) to the permanent place or state of those unbaptized children and others who, dying without grievous personal sin, are excluded from the beatific vision on account of original sin alone (the "limbus infantium" or "puerorum").
.
The root of the word limbo is “the edge of a hem on a garment,” so the word itself is telling us that limbo is someplace which borders very close to another.
A very broad definition of limbo is “a zone which exists between two definite places.”
The Bible does not give the name “limbo” to any specific place or realm, but various people have used the word “limbo” in various ways.
.
One Roman Catholic tradition names a limbo for children who die before their baptisms or die outside of the Roman Catholic religion. 

There is no biblical support for this view. It is merely a religious opinion which has been handed down by Catholic theologians.
The closest biblical account for a “limbo” concerns “Abraham’s bosom” and “paradise” in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31).
Although it is a parable to teach a truth concerning prophecies declaring the kingdom of God, the places “Abraham’s bosom” and “paradise” mentioned must be real places or Jesus would not have referred to them.
Parables are not based upon imaginary objects and locations, but on things which are real.
So before the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, there were two places souls went upon death.
One place is at the side of Abraham (often described as Abraham’s bosom). This would be for people who died in faith in God’s promised Messiah, just as Abraham did, and were declared righteous by faith (Genesis 15:4-6; Romans 4:13-24).
Those who died in unbelief went to a place of torment, commonly called “hell.” These people are not in the Book of Life because they do not have eternal life through faith in Christ, and they are cast into their final destination in the “lake of fire - gehenna.”
Limbo as a realm in between heaven and hell, sort of another purgatory, is not found anywhere in Scriptures.
If there is any sort of a limbo, it is the temporary holding place of departed spirits called “hades” or “sheol” in the Bible.
But this is also a temporary limbo. These souls will appear at the second resurrection before the Before the Great White Throne.
Revelation 20:11- Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. 
12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. 
13 And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. 
14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 
15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.  English Standard Version (ESV)
Are you struggling with a big decision or wondering how your eternal future will play out?
Why not talk to the God of the universe and let Him work in your behalf?
He says, “I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you" (Psalm 32:8).
Ask God to show you what to do. Pray the following prayer: 
“Heavenly Father,
I admit that I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and begin a new life with You.
Please forgive me. I now receive your Son, Jesus Christ as my Savior, my Master and my Lord. I believe and confess that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried, and rose from the dead.
I want to receive all that Jesus Christ has provided for me as my Savior. Your Word says, ‘Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved’ (Romans 10:13).
I believe and confess that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man comes unto the Father, but by Him.
Lord Jesus, I pray and ask You, to come into my heart and be Lord of my life. I thank You that you have given me eternal life, and according to Your Word, I am born again.
Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit that is in me now. I surrender my life to You. . I promise to study Your Word – the Bible.
Use me for Your glory.

In Jesus Name. Amen.”

     I Sing Praises     Terry MacAlmon


lyrics

I sing praises to Your Name, O Lord
Praises to Your Name, O Lord
For Your Name is great
and greatly to be praised

Repeat

We give glory to Your Name, O Lord
Glory to Your Name, O Lord
For Your name is great
and greatly to be praised

We give worship to Your name, O Lord
Worship to Your name, O Lord
For Your name is great
and greatly to be praised

Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment