Thursday, May 26, 2016

COVENANTS - The New Covenant – A Better Covenant. We have a mediator who is without sin, eternal in the heavens, and is able to help those who come to Him in faith.

The New Covenant – A Better Covenant
puricarefiles
18 For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness 19 (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.
20 And it was not without an oath. For those who formerly became priests were made such without an oath, 21 but this one was made a priest with an oath by the one who said to him:
“The Lord has sworn
    and will not change his mind,
‘You are a priest forever.’”
22 This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant” Hebrews 7:18-22 (ESV).
There are some groups today that consider any Christian who worships on Sundays instead of on Saturdays, to be outside the true Christian faith.
These people still do not really believe that the new covenant instituted by the Lord Jesus Christ is better than the old one.
The rigid rules of legalism had been for centuries a perennial problem the church.
The apostle Paul, for example, has to admonish the Galatians for trying to ensure their salvation by observing the Old Testament Law.
Like them, the original audience of the book of Hebrews doubted the superiority of the new covenant.
The New Covenant or New Testament has the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, as the eternal High Priest who was appointed not on the basis of legal descent but on the basis of an indestructible life thus, there should not be any doubt about its superiority (Hebrews 7:16 ).
Unlike the priests of the Old Testament, Jesus, this High Priest was made so by means of a divine oath:
20And it was not without an oath. For those who formerly became priests were made such without an oath, 21 but this one was made a priest with an oath by the one who said to him: ‘The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, You are a priest forever.'" Hebrews 7:20-21 (ESV)
This oath “makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant” (Hebrews 7:22). This is not to say that the old covenant was not good. It is just saying that the new covenant is much better and more glorious.
We who are covered by the new covenant have the advantage that instead of looking forward to the day when God would solve our sin problem, we now can look back to the Cross as the fulfillment of God’s answer to the problem of sin.
We do not have to go to the Old Testament temple again and again to offer animal sacrifices for our sins. We can now give thanks and rejoice because of the One who offered His life as the perfect atonement at the cross – Jesus Christ.
We have a mediator who is without sin, eternal in the heavens, and is able to help those who come to Him in faith:
“Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.” Hebrews 7:25 (ESV)
To to save to the uttermost” literally means that there is no situation in this life that is beyond His attention and control. There are those who say that the gospel of Jesus Christ is from the “uttermost to the guttermost“ that is, to every detail in life. Gospel means good news,
The old covenant’s priestly ordinances were destined to pass away. But we have a covenant that will endure forever because Jesus, our High Priest lives forever.
God the Father would not have replaced the old covenant if the new one is not so much better and more wonderful. It is wonderful because it has Jesus as guarantor.
The new covenant transforms us into servants who gladly and willingly obey Christ in all things. Christ, our guarantor, works in our hearts and will remove the presence of sin from us just as He has already eliminated its penalty.
In this life, we will live in ever greater obedience to Christ. When He returns, we will be finally and completely conformed to His glorious image.

“Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.” 1 Corinthians 15:49 (ESV)

God has sworn that this covenant will never be superseded. There is nothing that will ever make Him change that.
Why not reflect on your status as being covered by the new covenant? Remember that you live in a better period than any of the old covenant saints.
Perhaps, you have considered to partake of the new and living way being offered to you.
Settle that sin issue now by calling on God. He has promised that anyone who calls on Him shall be saved.
“Father God, I confess I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You.
I am truly sorry.  I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and live a new life pleasing to You.
Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again.
I want to receive all that Jesus Christ has provided for me as my Savior. Your Word says, ‘Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved’ (Romans 10:13).
I believe and confess that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man comes unto the Father, but by Him.
Lord Jesus, I pray and ask You, to come into my heart and be Lord of my life. I thank You that you have given me eternal life, and according to Your Word, I am born again.
Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit Who is in me now. I promise to study Your Word – the Bible.
I surrender my life to You. Use me for Your glory.
In Jesus’ Name. Amen.
RELATED POSTS:
I Choose to Believe in Miracles  

.
The Great Exchange
 .


Are You a Good Person? All our righteousness are just filthy rags to Him

      “My Jesus, My Saviour”
                 (Shout To The Lord)
                Michael W. Smith 
lyrics
My Jesus, My Saviour,
Lord there is no one like you,
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love.

My comfort, my shelter,
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You.

Chorus:
Shout to the Lord, all the earth let us sing,
Power and majesty, praise to the King!
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar,
At the sound of your name!
I sing for joy at the work of your hands,
Forever I'll love you, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.

Repeat verse

My Jesus, my Saviour,
Lord, there is none like You
All of my days, I want to praise,
The wonders of your mighty love 

My comfort, my shelter,
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You

Chorus x2
   

No comments:

Post a Comment