Sunday, May 29, 2016

WORK - Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown for His name.



So, you’re working for the Lord. 
But
what is your motive?

 “ Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, Colossians 3:23 English Standard Version (ESV)

 For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown for His name in ministering to [the needs of] the saints (God’s people), as you do.” Hebrews 6:10 Amplified Bible (AMP)
Work, is ordained by God. God commanded man to work even before sin entered into the world, “The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it. Genesis 2:15 English Standard Version (ESV)
Jesus said, "I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work.” John 9:4 NKJV 
It is not enough that Christians work in the vineyard of the Lord but also what motivates us to do that work.
Let us look into three different types of motivation that the Bible tells us about.
THE PHARISEES WORKED TO BE SEEN OF MEN
Jesus said of the Pharisees: "But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments.”  Matthew 23:5. 
(A phylactery was one of two small square leather boxes containing scriptural passages and worn on the left arm and forehead). 
The Pharisees were motivated to do religious work so that they might be seen by men.
In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus warned His hearers about doing good works in order to obtain the praise of men. "Be careful not to do your ’acts of righteousness’ before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.” Matthew 6:1 NIV
NEHEMIAH WORKED FOR THE GLORY OF GOD
While serving as the cupbearer for King Artaxerxes, Nehemiah learned of the desolation in Jerusalem, particularly as it concerned the condition of the walls and gates of the city. 
Nehemiah felt the need of rebuilding the walls and was anxious to lead the effort. He prayed that God might ‘make tender” the heart of the king at the time he would present the request for the king’s consideration. 
Nehemiah normally displayed a happy disposition but on one particular day he performed his duties as cupbearer with a saddened face.
King Artaxerxes asked him why he was so sad. He told the king that his sorrow was caused by the devastation of the walls and the burned gates of Jerusalem. 
Nehemiah requested that the king authorize him to go to Jerusalem and rebuild its walls and repair its gates.
The king granted the request; gave Nehemiah letters to give to the governors of the regions through which he would travel assuring his safety.
The king also provided officers of the army and horsemen to accompany him.
The use of the term “officers of the army” means that companies of soldiers were in the entourage.
From that day on, half of my servants worked on construction, and half held the spears, shields, bows, and coats of mail. And the leaders stood behind the whole house of Judah,  who were building on the wall. Those who carried burdens were loaded in such a way that each labored on the work with one hand and held his weapon with the other.” (Nehemiah 4:16-17) (ESV)
“So we built the wall. And all the wall was joined together to half its height, for the people had a mind to work.” (Nehemiah 4:6) (ESV)

“And when all our enemies heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, for they perceived that this work had been accomplished with the help of our God. (Nehemiah 6:16(ESV)

“So the wall was finished on the twenty-fifth day of the month Elul, in fifty-two days. And when all our enemies heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, for they perceived that this work had been accomplished with the help of our God. (Nehemiah 6:15-16) (ESV)
As we work faithfully in the service of our Lord let us keep in mind what Paul wrote to the saints in Corinth: “For we are fellow workmen (laborers together) with and for God; you are God’s garden and vineyard and field under cultivation, [you are] God’s building.” (1 Corinthians 3:9) AMP
THE LORD JESUS WORKED TO FULFILL THE WILL OF THE FATHER
1. Prior to the beginning of His earthly ministry, He sat an example of the dignity of labor.
After He had taught in the synagogue of Nazareth and healed the sick that were brought to Him, the leaders of the town were astonished at His words and works, asking: "Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary?” Mark 6:3. 
The work of a carpenter in Biblical times was hard. All work had to be done by hand – there were no power tools then and they worked on wood and stones. The wording in Mark 6:3 indicates that Jesus worked to provide for the needs of the family. If Joseph was living at that time, Jesus would have been referred to “the carpenter, the son of Joseph”.
2. Working to fulfill His mission on earth: "I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.” (John 17:4). 
Jesus prayed to the Father as though He had already died for the sins of mankind when He said “I have finished the work You have given Me to do.”
The greatest work ever accomplished in the history of the world occurred on the cross of Calvary when our Savior “put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.” (Hebrews 9:26) 
Today’s text tells us that our work and service done for the glory of the Lord will not be forgotten by Him but will be rewarded.
We must work diligently and with dignity We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. John 9:4 (ESV)
If you have not yet trusted Christ as Savior, believe that only he can change your heart today.

Ask God to show you what to do. Pray the following prayer:
“Heavenly Father,
I admit that I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and begin a new life with You.
Please forgive me. I now receive Your Son, Jesus Christ as my Savior, my Master and my Lord. I believe and confess that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried, and rose from the dead.
I want to receive all that Jesus Christ has provided for me as my Savior. Your Word says, ‘Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved’ (Romans 10:13).
I believe and confess that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man comes unto the Father, but by Him.
Lord Jesus, I pray and ask You, to come into my heart and be Lord of my life. I thank You that You have given me eternal life, and according to Your Word, I am born again.
Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit Who is in me now. I surrender my life to You. I promise to study Your Word - the Bible.

Use me for your glory.
In Jesus Name. Amen.”
      “To Be Pleasing You”   
              Maranatha!
              Teresa Muller
lyrics
Lord I want to live my life
To please You
I bring my heart before You
To remold
Make of me a vessel fit for honor
That I might shine for You
As sparkling gold
(chorus)
To be pleasing You, pleasing You
This is all really want to do
To be pleasing You, pleasing You
This is all really want to do
Lord I lift my heart in full surrender
All that I hold dear I give to You
Purify my heart and make me holy
That's pleasing You
 





No comments:

Post a Comment