Wednesday, June 8, 2016

JESUS WEPT OVER JERUSALEM - He knew that most people would reject Him, just as had been prophesied. He wept for the hardness of their hearts. He did not want them to perish but desired them to come to repentance.


Jesus weeps over Jerusalem, 
grieving over mankind’s hard hearts.

puricarefiles
Luke 19:41- "And when he drew near and saw the city, he wept over it, 42 saying, 'Would that you, even you, had known on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. 43 For the days will come upon you, when your enemies will set up a barricade around you and surround you and hem you in on every side 44 and tear you down to the ground, you and your children within you. And they will not leave one stone upon another in you, because you did not know the time of your visitation.'” (ESV)
Jesus knew that most people would reject Him, just as had been prophesied (Isaiah 53:3-4).

He also knew that the city of Jerusalem would be destroyed. The Temple would be razed, and many people would be killed by the Romans (Matthew 24:2; Luke 21:20-24).
Jesus wept for the hardness of their hearts. He did not want them to perish but desired them to come to repentance (Luke 15:7).
God will judge sin, but He makes clear that He wants people to turn from their sin and live, not die (Ezekiel 33:11).
In an attempt to “establish their own righteousness” the Jewish leaders of that day had so distorted
Scriptures that they considered healing someone a violation of the Sabbath.


Mark 3:4 -And he said to them, 'Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?' But they were silent. And he looked around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, and said to the man, 'Stretch out your hand.' He stretched it out, and his hand was restored."  (ESV)

They had neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith” (Matthew 23:23; Romans 10:3).

The people of Jerusalem had heard the Word of God through the mouths of prophets time and again warning them to repent, turn from their sins, and return to the Lord. But they would not.
 Jesus lamented at the hardness of their hearts:

 

Luke 13:34 - O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! (ESV) (see also Matthew 23:37)

We should weep over our sins.
Understanding some of these things that grieve our Lord should cause us also to weep and be grieved over several things.
We should weep over our sins and repent for offending a holy and just God. Paul exhibited this type of godly sorrow when he wrote the following:

 

Romans 7:21- "So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?"  (ESV)

When we grieve over our sin in humility, the Lord will not reject us, as the psalmist wrote: “For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart—these, O God, You will not despise” (Psalm 51:16-17).
In In Isaiah 66:2 God says, But on this one will I look: on him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at My word.”
We should weep over the sin of fleshly living.
We have to guard against our own tendency to sow to our own flesh instead of to the Spirit (Galatians 6:7-9).
We should be quick to heed the admonition in James 4:8-10 to mourn over our sins:.

“Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. ESV) .

Also, we are to weep in warning others about false teachers and fleshly impostors who claim to be Christians, when in reality they are enemies of Jesus Christ.
Once again, the Apostle Paul demonstrated this response in a way we should strive to emulate: 

Philippians 3:18 – For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,” (ESV)

We should weep over the sin of complacency and idolatry


God does not want our worship of Him to be merged with fleshly practices and bowing down to graven images.
God wants us to worship Him in spirit and in truth, and to live a life of holiness (2 Corinthians 6:16-18).
We must constantly guard against complacency. God threatened to “vomit out” lukewarm Christians in the church of Laodicea (Revelations 3:15-16)).
And in keeping with this, there are times when we must endure and exhibit godly sorrow, in order to produce repentance.
Do we have weeping hearts like Jesus’ heart?

Jesus, as God incarnate, was weeping at the hardness of people’s hearts and the sin around Him.
Jesus was weeping that mankind was still under the curse of death and that the last enemy of mankind was yet to be defeated.
But Jesus was not powerless. He had the power to overcome death. Through His death, burial, and Resurrection He has made believers more than conquerors over sin and death (Romans 6:9-10; 8:37).
We look forward to that blessed hope (Titus 2:13).
Christ will come, and shall be made alive with Him (1 Corinthians 15:22).
Through faith in Christ, we can look forward to an eternity one day when He will wipe away all tears and there will be no more sorrow (Revelation 21:4).
Are you struggling with a big decision or wondering how your eternal future will play out?
Why not talk to the God of the universe and let Him work in your behalf?
He says, “I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you" (Psalm 32:8).
Ask God to show you what to do. Pray the following prayer:
“Heavenly Father,
I admit that I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and begin a new life with You.
Please forgive me. I now receive your Son, Jesus Christ as my Savior, my Master and my Lord. I believe and confess that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried, and rose from the dead.
I want to receive all that Jesus Christ has provided for me as my Savior. Your Word says, ‘Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved’ (Romans 10:13).
I believe and confess that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man comes unto the Father, but by Him.
Lord Jesus, I pray and ask You, to come into my heart and be Lord of my life. I thank You that you have given me eternal life, and according to Your Word, I am born again.
Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit Who is in me now. I surrender my life to You. I promise to study Your Word – the Bible.
Use me for Your glory.
In Jesus’ Name. Amen.”

RELATED POSTS:

CLICK HERE . . .


CLICK HERE . . .


CLICK HERE . . .
Jesus, we enthrone you    

    Don Moen                 
 

CLICK HERE . . . for complete playlist . . .

lyrics
Jesus, we enthrone you
we proclaim you are king
standing here, in the midst of all
we raise you with our praise

and as we worship fill the throne
and as we worship fill the throne
and as we worship fill the throne
come lord Jesus and take your place

Jesus, we enthrone you
we proclaim you are king
standing here, in the midst of above
we raise you with our praise

and as we worship fill the throne
and as we worship fill the throne
and as we worship fill the throne
come lord Jesus and take your place

and as we worship fill the throne
and as we worship fill the throne
and as we worship fill the throne
come lord Jesus and take your place 












No comments:

Post a Comment