Sunday, June 19, 2016

MIRACLES - Elisha and the miraculous supply of oil speak to us of God's abundant care for His people.


The prophet Elisha and the miraculous 
supply of oil challenges our faith today
Mark Woods
A miraculous supply of olive oil speaks of God's spiritual provision for his people.
In 2 Kings 4:1-7 we read the story of how a poor widow and her family were miraculously preserved by the power of God. It is one of a number of stories that speak to us of God's abundant care for His people.
This one focuses on the prophet Elisha. He goes about with a band of disciples known as "the company of the prophets".
One of them dies, leaving a widow and two sons. She is destitute and faces the horrible prospect of her sons being sold into slavery to pay the family's debts.

 So she appeals to Elisha, calling her husband "his servant" and highlighting the irony of her boys being forced into a far worse form of servitude.
Elisha asks how he can help her and what she has in her house. Nothing, she says, before remembering: "Only a little oil."
Elisha tells her to go and ask her neighbours for empty jars, as many as they can spare, and fill them all up from the jar that she has. The oil only stops flowing when all the jars are full.
In this strange short story we can see three things.
First, the woman thought she had nothing, but realized she still had something to offer. God takes even our smallest gifts and does something worthwhile with them.
Jesus told the story of the widow's mite – the tiny coin she dropped into the temple treasury that was worth more than all the showers of gold poured out by those who could afford it.
And we have the story of the boy with the loaves and two fishes that fed a multitude. Never underestimate what God can do with your gift.
Second, do not limit what God can do by your lack of faith. It would have been easy for the woman to assume God's supply was limited. In fact the only limitations were human, not divine.
We often live lives that are far more limited than they ought to be, spiritually and in other ways. The temptation is to think we're only capable of what we think we're capable of. 
So we avoid putting ourselves in positions where our faith will be challenged and stretched. We do not trust God to provide the resources we need, so we do not ask him.
Third, God does not want us to be dominated by the fear of poverty, failure and defeat. But neither does he want us to be independent of him, reliant on our own abilities and resources.
Proverbs 30:8-9 says: "Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God."

There are no limits to what God can do. We limit Him when we fail to trust Him.
And He would rather we achieved less and continued to trust Him than achieved more and forgot all about Him.
Would you want to have a deeper relationship with God?
God has made it possible for you to know Him and experience an amazing change in your own life by receiving His Son, Jesus Christ, and have eternal life.
Say the following prayer:
“Father God, I confess I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You.
I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and live a new life pleasing to You.
Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again.
I believe that Your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer.
I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Thank You that according to your Word, I am now born again.
Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. I promise to study Your Word – the Bible.
Please use me for Your glory.
In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.”
RELATED POSTS:
.
Jesus Will Provide 
the Wine  

.
.
.
.
.
Does God Still Work Miracles Today?  


.
.
.
I Choose to Believe in Miracles   



      “All Things Are Possible”   
             Hillsong 
             Darlene Joyce Zschech

lyrics

Almighty God, my Redeemer
My Hiding Place, my Safe Refuge
No other name like Jesus
No power can stand against You.

My feet are planted on this Rock
And I will not be shaken
My hope it comes from You alone
My Lord and my salvation.

Chorus:

Your praise is al - ways on my lips
Your word is living in my heart
And I will praise You with a new song
My soul will bless You, Lord
You fill my life with greater joy
Yes, I delight myself in You
And I will praise You with a new song
My soul will bless You, Lord.

Bridge:

When I'm weak
You make me strong
When I'm poor, I know I'm rich
For in the power of Your name


All things are possible
All things are possible
All things are possible
All things are possible
 











No comments:

Post a Comment