Thursday, June 30, 2016

LORD'S PRAYER - The so-called Lord’s Prayer is actually the Lord's "Model Prayer." It should be understood as an example, a pattern, or the skeleton or outline, of how to pray.


Jesus’ Model Prayer
.
In the Bible God speaks to us. In prayer we speak to the Lord.
We are to be continually in prayer.
"Pray without ceasing." 1 Thessalonians 5:17 English Standard Version (ESV)
“praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,” Ephesians 6:18 (ESV) 

”do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6 (ESV)

The so-called Lord’s Prayer is actually the Lord's "Model Prayer."
The Lord's Prayer is found 
in John 17.

John 17 is Jesus' prayer for believers - for you and I and all who have believed on Him: “…  I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours” (verse 9) 
The Model Prayer is improperly named "the Lord's Prayer."
It is mis-titled "the Lord's prayer." Jesus did not pray this prayer, but gave it as a model by which believers are to pray: “This, then, is how you should pray…” Matthew 6:9 (ESV)
Jesus could not have prayed this prayer because He had no sin “… forgive us our debts …” Matthew 6:12 (ESV)
There are two accounts in the New Testament in which the Lord Jesus gave the Model Prayer.

- In the Sermon on the Mount - Matthew 6:5-14
- When asked by the Disciples -
Luke 11:1-4

  In Matthew 6:9-13 Jesus says, “This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.'“
Many people misunderstand the Model Prayer to be a prayer that we are supposed to recite word for word.
Some Christians treat the Model Prayer as a magic formula, as if the words themselves have some specific power to influence God. 
There are even those who insist on reciting the Model Prayer in the King James Version, with the “thou’s,” the “thy’s,” and the “thine’s,” as if the archaic words are part of a sublime incantation important to the Lord.
However, the Bible teaches the opposite.
God is far more interested to listen to our hearts than when we pray with words in our mouths. 

“But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words” Matthew 6:6-7 (ESV).
When we are in prayer, we are to pour out our hearts to God, not simply recite memorized words Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV).

The Model Prayer should be understood as an example, a pattern, or the skeleton or outline, of how to pray. It gives us the essentials, the “ingredients” that should go into prayer.

First and foremost, Jesus says, “… when you pray…” (Matthew 6:5). 
Jesus is stressing “when” not “if,” indicating that prayer is a mandatory part of our lives.
In Matthew 6:9, Jesus says, “Pray then like this … ”  
In other translations this is rendered "after this manner," which in the original “koine” Greek literally means "thus or therefore," or, "pray along these lines."

It does not mean "use the exact words.”

Those who have taken this Model Prayer literally and prays it over and over again as a formal prayer, have missed the point of what Jesus was saying. They have wrongly concluded that God is telling us to pray this prayer in a ritualistic manner.
Prayer is not a ritual or a prescribed formula, but a heartfelt expression of our ardent love and declaration of dependence on God.
By saying "along the lines” or “this is the outline for prayer," the Lord is telling us that prayer should be personal.
Prayer should be a matter of a man or woman talking personally to the Lord in conversation, and not doing some pre-arranged ritual or formal ceremony.
The Model Prayer breaks down as:
- Our Father in heaven” is teaching us whom to address our prayers to - the Father.
Note that prayer starts with "Our." Prayer is only for the child of God.
Only one prayer does God hears from lost humanity - that is the "sinners prayer" asking for redemption.
So many people pray to God. But He does not hear their prayers in the sense of answering them. The unsaved have never accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord. The unsaved are not in God's family nor are His children. Thus God cannot bless them.
Those who refuse to receive Jesus as Lord and Savior are lost and are actually in blatant rebellion against God. 
They may pray asking for His help, while at the same time, denying Him a place in their lives. They want His help, but not Him. They seek Him to bless them, all the while sinning willfully without any regard for Him.
Jesus said to the lost who were calling Him "lord." "Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? Luke 6:46 (ESV)
God is not the Father of the “world.” The word "world" refers to lost humanity who are rejecting God.
“In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God” 2 Corinthians 4:4 (ESV). 
We are not instructed to pray to dead saints or anyone, but to God Himself. It is wrong to pray to anyone else but directly to God.
The idea of praying to idols, even to Mary, Jesus’ mother, is false teaching of the highest order. It is degrading to God and the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is our One and Only intercessor  Hebrews 4:15, Hebrews. 10:19-22
The Word of God plainly states that Christ is our only intercessor and He fully understands our infirmities. It is heresy to circumvent the Lord's position as not only our Savior, but also our intercessor before God the Father.
- “Hallowed be your name” is telling us to worship God, and to praise Him for who He is.
The word “hallowed” (hagios) literally means "to make holy." That means to be set apart for God alone. Further the word is the opposite of the word "kionos" which means "common."
Taking the Lord's name in vain means using it as a curse word or without respect. When something happens many say, "Oh, God" which is misusing the name of the Lord.
It is certainly disrespectful to refer to God as "the old man upstairs" or similar expressions. God the Father is not a man nor ever was a man - He is Almighty God! He is a spirit and exists in a domain outside of our Universe with He created.
- The phrase “your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” is a reminder to us that we are to pray for God’s plan in our lives and the world, not our own plan. We are to pray for God’s will to be done, not for our desires.
- We are encouraged to ask God for the things we need in “give us today our daily bread.”
- “Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors” reminds us to confess our sins to God and to turn from them, and also to forgive others as God has forgiven us.
- The conclusion of the Model Prayer, And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one” is a plea for help in achieving victory over sin and a request for protection from the attacks of the devil.
So, again, the Model Prayer is not a prayer that we are obliged to memorize and recite verbatim back to God in a prescribed version of the Bible. It is only an example or pattern of how we are to pray.
Is there anything wrong with memorizing and reciting the Model Prayer? Of course not!
Is there anything wrong with praying the Model Prayer back to God? Not you truly mean the words you say. Not if your heart is truly in it. 
In prayer, the Lord is far more interested in our fellowship with Him as “our Father.” He would be more pleased listening to the warmth of our hearts than in the words we use. 
Philippians 4:6-7 declares, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
Matthew 6:5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.Pray then like this:
“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come,

your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts,

    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,

    but deliver us from evil.
14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, 15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." English Standard Version (ESV)
Luke 11  "Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.” And he said to them, “When you pray, say:
“Father, hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come.
Give us each day our daily bread,
and forgive us our sins,

    for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us.

And lead us not into temptation.” English Standard Version (ESV)
Are you struggling with a big decision or wondering how your eternal future will play out?
Why not talk to the God of the universe and let Him work in your behalf?
He says, “I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you" (Psalm 32:8).

Ask God to show you what to do. Pray the following prayer:
“Heavenly Father,
I admit that I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and begin a new life with You.
Please forgive me. I now receive your Son, Jesus Christ as my Savior, my Master and my Lord. I believe and confess that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried, and rose from the dead.
I want to receive all that Jesus Christ has provided for me as my Savior. Your Word says, ‘Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved’ (Romans 10:13).
I believe and confess that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man comes unto the Father, but by Him.
Lord Jesus, I pray and ask You, to come into my heart and be Lord of my life. I thank You that you have given me eternal life, and according to Your Word, I am born again.
Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit Who is in me now. I surrender my life to You. I promise to study Your Word - the Bible.
Use me for Your glory.
In Jesus' Name. Amen.” 
RELATED POSTS:
The Battle is Won in the Secret Place

.
. .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Power-Packed Prayers God Always Answers!

How important is praying for others?


.
.
.
,


My Child,

You may not know me, 
but I know everything about you.
 
Psalm 139:1
I know when you sit down and when you rise up. 
Psalm 139:2
I am familiar with all your ways. 
Psalm 139:3
Even the very hairs on your head are numbered. 
Matthew 10:29-31
For you were made in my image. 
Genesis 1:27
In me you live and move and have your being.
Acts 17:28
For you are my offspring. 
Acts 17:28
I knew you even before you were conceived. 
Jeremiah 1:4-5
I chose you when I planned creation. 
Ephesians 1:11-12
You were not a mistake, 
for all your days are written in my book.
 
Psalm 139:15-16
I determined the exact time of your birth 
and where you would live.
 
Acts 17:26
You are fearfully and wonderfully made. 
Psalm 139:14
I knit you together in your mother's womb. 
Psalm 139:13
And brought you forth on the day you were born. 
Psalm 71:6
I have been misrepresented 
by those who don't know me.

John 8:41-44
I am not distant and angry, 
but am the complete expression of love.
 
1 John 4:16
And it is my desire to lavish my love on you. 
1 John 3:1
Simply because you are my child 
and I am your Father.
 
1 John 3:1
I offer you more than your earthly father ever could. 
Matthew 7:11
For I am the perfect father. 
Matthew 5:48
Every good gift that you receive comes from my hand. 
James 1:17
For I am your provider and I meet all your needs. 
Matthew 6:31-33
My plan for your future has always been filled with hope. 
Jeremiah 29:11
Because I love you with an everlasting love. 
Jeremiah 31:3
My thoughts toward you are countless 
as the sand on the seashore.

Psalms 139:17-18
And I rejoice over you with singing. 
Zephaniah 3:17
I will never stop doing good to you. 
Jeremiah 32:40
For you are my treasured possession. 
Exodus 19:5
I desire to establish you
with all my heart and all my soul.
 
Jeremiah 32:41
And I want to show you great and marvelous things. 
Jeremiah 33:3
If you seek me with all your heart, 
you will find me.
 
Deuteronomy 4:29
Delight in me and I will give you 
the desires of your heart.
 
Psalm 37:4
For it is I who gave you those desires. 
Philippians 2:13
I am able to do more for you 
than you could possibly imagine.
 
Ephesians 3:20
For I am your greatest encourager. 
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
I am also the Father who comforts you 
in all your troubles.
 
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
When you are brokenhearted, 
I am close to you.
 
Psalm 34:18
As a shepherd carries a lamb, 
I have carried you close to my heart.
 
Isaiah 40:11
One day I will wipe away 
every tear from your eyes.
 
Revelation 21:3-4
And I'll take away all the pain 
you have suffered on this earth.

Revelation 21:3-4
I am your Father, and I love you 
even as I love my son, Jesus.

John 17:23
For in Jesus, my love for you is revealed. 
John 17:26
He is the exact representation of my being. 
Hebrews 1:3
He came to demonstrate that I am for you, 
not against you.
 
Romans 8:31
And to tell you that I am not counting your sins.
2 Corinthians 5:18-19
Jesus died so that you and I could be reconciled. 
2 Corinthians 5:18-19
His death was the ultimate expression 
of my love for you.
 
1 John 4:10
I gave up everything I loved
that I might gain your love.
 
Romans 8:31-32
If you receive the gift of my son Jesus, 
you receive me.
 
1 John 2:23
And nothing will ever separate you 
from my love again.

Romans 8:38-39
Come home and I'll throw the biggest party 
heaven has ever seen.

Luke 15:7
I have always been Father, 
and will always be Father.

Ephesians 3:14-15
My question is…
Will you be my child?
 
John 1:12-13
I am waiting for you. 
Luke 15:11-32


Love, Your Dad
Almighty God

No comments:

Post a Comment