Monday, June 13, 2016

THE STRIPES OF JESUS - Scourging was the punishment ordered for Jesus by Pontius Pilate: He was to be flogged but not killed in that way. Jesus’ death was to be carried out by crucifixion after the scourging.


How many lashes did Jesus receive during the scourging by the Romans?
.
.

The Bible does not directly indicate how many lashes Jesus received. Before His crucifixion, Jesus was scourged by the Romans.
.
Then Pilate took Jesus and flogged him.” John 19:1 (ESV)
.
Deuteronomy 25:3 states that a criminal should not receive more than forty lashes.
.
“Forty stripes may be given him, but not more, lest, if one should go on to beat him with more stripes than these, your brother be degraded in your sight.” Deuteronomy 25:33 (ESV)

In order to avoid accidental breaking of this command, the Jews would only give a criminal 39 lashes.
.
The Apostle Paul mentioned this practice in 2 Corinthians 11:24, “five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one.”
.
Jesus was scourged by the Romans, not by the Jews. There is no reason to believe that the Romans would follow a Jewish tradition. 
.
Scourging was the punishment ordered for Jesus by Pontius Pilate: He was to be flogged but not killed in that way.
.
Then he released for them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, delivered him to be crucified.”  Matthew 27:26 (ESV)
.
Jesus’ death was to be carried out by crucifixion after the scourging.
.
It is hard to imagine the level of hatred necessary to consign an innocent man to such a fate. Yet the Jewish leaders and Pilate did this very thing, knowing Jesus was innocent. 
.
Worse, the man they sent to be flogged and crucified was the Son of God. 
.
We hear and refer to the story of Jesus’ death so often that sometimes we fail to stop and think about how brutally He was treated by those He came to save.
.
The torment He endured was prophesied in Isaiah: “He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed” (Isaiah 53:5).
.
The “stripes” referred to in this prophecy are a direct reference to the lashes Jesus received.
.
Whether there were 39 lashes or 40 or some other number, the scourging was a terrible, painful ordeal. In a very real way, the death of Christ effected spiritual healing for those who would believe.
.
Isaiah compares humanity to a flock of sheep that has turned away from the Shepherd, each animal going its own way — a picture of disharmony and danger.
.
But the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all” (Isaiah 53:6).
.
The pure, perfect innocence of Jesus Christ, His wisdom and creative power, were all present in His human body. The flawless Shepherd chose to accept an undeserved, cruel death in order to save His sheep.
This was prophesied by Jesus.
.
Before His arrest He said, “I am the good shepherd.
The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep ... I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep ... For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”
 (John 19:11, 15, 17-18)

The Father chose to send Jesus to the cross. Jesus chose to take our punishment. They conspired to save all who would believe and to show by Jesus’ terrible wounds both the seriousness of our sin and the depth of His love.
.
Why not accept God's gift of salvation and become His child?
.
Open your heart and say this prayer: 
“Father God, I confess I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You.
I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and live a new life pleasing to You.
Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again.
I believe that Your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer.
I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Thank You that according to Your Word, I am now born again.
Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. I promise to study Your Word - the Bible.
Use me for Your glory.
In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.” 

“By His Wounds”      
            
     Don Moen 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Qy0vpNX3IDoenMoenMelanieEmanoForrester


lyrics  
Surely He took up our infirmities
And carried our sorrows 
Yet we considered Him stricken by God
Smitten by Him and afflicted

But He was pierced for our transgressions 
He was crushed for our iniquities 
The punishment that brought us peace 
The punishment that brought us peace
Was upon Him

And by His wounds we are healed
By His wounds we are healed
By His wounds we are healed
By His wounds we are healed

Surely He took up our infirmities
And carried our sorrows 
Yet we considered Him stricken by God
Smitten by Him and afflicted

But He was pierced for our transgressions 
He was crushed for our iniquities 
The punishment that brought us peace 
The punishment that brought us peace
Was upon Him

And by His wounds we are healed
By His wounds we are healed
By His wounds we are healed
By His wounds we are healed

By His wounds we are healed
By His wounds we are healed
By His wounds we are healed
By His wounds we are healed




 






No comments:

Post a Comment