Tuesday, November 15, 2016

- DEATH - You Are No Exception. Unless the second coming of Jesus Christ occurs in your lifetime, you personally cannot be exempted from death. Were you to escape death only to face judgment, the stale cliche might find fresh meaning: "out of the frying pan into the fire"

Five Facts About Death                  

Ron Graham 

We look at a single Bible verse -  
"It is appointed for men once to die, and after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:27).
This text tells us five facts about death.
We break this text up into five portions, each of which implies a certain fact about death.
Knowing these facts helps us understand and prepare for death.
1 "It is appointed..." — Death is Unavoidable
In the phrase "It is appointed for men once to die..." we find our first fact, that death is unavoidable.
When Hebrews 9:27 says, that death "is appointed", it might be stating the obvious, yet most people live as if death is unlikely!
We have birth control, but not death control.
It is inevitable that "the silver cord is loosed and we fly away" (Ecclesiastes 12:6 Psalms 90:9-10). 
Such language as that, is usually reserved for funerals, yet it expresses a fact of everyday life: All of us, sooner or later, must keep a personal, unavoidable, appointment with death.
2 "For men ..." — You Are No Exception
In the phrase "It is appointed for for men once to die..." we find our second fact, that you are no exception.
When Hebrews 9:27 says "it is appointed for men once to die...", it does so generically, with no sense of gender.
In other words "men" here stands for all humankind —man, whether male or female.
You could replace the word "men" with your own name, because the scripture applies to you individually as well as to mankind in general.
Nevertheless, most people live their lives as if they were exceptions to the rule of death!
Unless the second coming of Jesus Christ occurs in your lifetime, you personally cannot be exempted from death.
In all of human history, the Bible tells of only two exceptions. One was Enoch (Genesis 5:23-24). 
The other was Elijah (2Kings 2:1,11). [Compare John 21:17-23]
Were you to escape death only to face judgment, the stale cliche might find fresh meaning: "out of the frying pan into the fire".
3 "... once to die ..." — You Only Die Once.
In the words "it is appointed for men once to die..." we have our third fact, that you only die once.
When Hebrews 9:27 says, "once" it brings home the fact that you don't get a second chance at life and death. It's a one-off.
When people say, "You only die once!" they usually mean that you might as well be reckless. But surely, since we live and die but once, we should make of our life what we were meant to make of it.
Surely we should not waste our one life, but live it as pilgrims in this world (1Peter 2:11-12, James 4:13-17).
The words "once to die" contradict the theory of re-incarnation (that we live successive earthly lives).
The statement, "You must be born again" is no support for re-incarnation. Jesus made it clear that the rebirth of which he spoke was spiritual not physical (John 3:1-21).
4 "... and after this ..." — Death is Not the End
In the words "... and after this comes judgment" we have our fourth fact, that death is not the end.
When Hebrews 9:27 says, "after this" it puts life and death into perspective, and supplies the wonderful hope in what otherwise would be a fatalistic and depressing statement.
An old wireless advertisement used to say, "Death is so permanent!" But in one sense death is not permanent at all. There is something after death.
This is why Christians speak of death as a "sleep" because it is a temporary state (John 11:11; 1Thessalonians 4:13-18).
For those who seek and follow Jesus, there lies beyond death "an inheritance imperishable... reserved in heaven" (1Peter 1:3-9).
5 "... the Judgment" — Death is Your Destiny’s Door
In the words "and after this the Judgment" we find our fifth fact, that death is your destiny’s door.
There is no second chance after death. 
Hebrews 9:27 is telling us precisely what there is after death -- "the judgment".
But those "in Christ" need not fear. "There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1). 
How do you get "into Christ"? By faith. (Galatians 3:26-29).
Those who refuse or neglect that are counted as ungodly, and unprepared. They have everything to fear (John 5:28-29 Matthew 25:31-46).
Conclusion
It is appointed for men once to die and after this the judgment.
Death is appointed, and you are no exception.
You only die once, and death is not the end; it is your destiny’s door.
Are you struggling with a big decision or wondering how your eternal future will play out?
Why not talk to the God of the universe and let Him work in your behalf?
He says, “I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you" (Psalm 32:8).
Ask God to show you what to do. Pray the following prayer:
“Heavenly Father,
I admit that I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and begin a new life with You.
Please forgive me. I now receive your Son, Jesus Christ as my Savior, my Master and my Lord. I believe and confess that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried, and rose from the dead.
I want to receive all that Jesus Christ has provided for me as my Savior. Your Word says, ‘Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved’ (Romans 10:13).
I believe and confess that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man comes unto the Father, but by Him.
Lord Jesus, I pray and ask You, to come into my heart and be Lord of my life. I thank You that you have given me eternal life, and according to Your Word, I am born again.
Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit Who is in me now. I surrender my life to You. I promise to study Your Word – the Bible.
Use me for Your glory.
In Jesus’ Name. Amen.”

RELATED POSTS:


Life After Death: Why is it Such a Hot Topic? 


Are The Spirits Of The Dead Still In The Grave? 

.
.
.
.
.
The Great White Throne 
Judgment 


     “He Leadeth Me”                                   Joseph H. Gilmore

  
lyrics

1   He leadeth me: O blessed thought!
O words with heavenly comfort fraught!
Whate'er I do, where'er I be,
still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.
Refrain:
He leadeth me, he leadeth me;
by his own hand he leadeth me:
his faithful follower I would be,
for by his hand he leadeth me.
2  Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,
sometimes where Eden's flowers bloom,
by waters calm, o'er troubled sea,
still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me. Refrain
3  Lord, I would clasp thy hand in mine,
nor ever murmur nor repine;
content, whatever lot I see,
since 'tis my God that leadeth me. Refrain
4  And when my task on earth is done,
when, by thy grace, the victory's won,
e'en death's cold wave I will not flee,
since God through Jordan leadeth me. Refrain 
http://www.simplybible.com/f162.htm 








No comments:

Post a Comment