Thursday, February 9, 2017

ORIGIN OF VALENTINE’S DAY - There is no biblical reason why Christians should not celebrate Valentine’s Day by giving their loved ones flowers, candy and/or cards. As with celebrating any holiday, the decision should be between the individual and God.

ORIGIN OF VALENTINE’S DAY
What is the origin of Valentine’s Day, and should Christians celebrate it?

The first Valentine was posted around 1806.
Almost one billion Valentine's Day cards are sent each year on or near February 14 with females purchasing 85% of the cards.
This is second only to the number of Christmas cards sent.
The history is somewhat murky as to how Valentine's Day has come to be what we now know and celebrate.
Saint Valentine served in third-century Rome. Emperor Claudius decided that single men made better soldiers. Therefore, Claudius banned soldiers from being married.
One version of the story is that Valentine continued to perform the weddings of young soldiers who were in love, and Claudius had Valentine imprisoned.
While imprisoned, Valentine reportedly fell in love with the jailer's daughter. Valentine sent her a card and signed it, "Love, your Valentine."
Another version is that Valentine defied Claudius by helping Christians escape the torture of the Romans.
Valentine died in approximately A.D. 270.
Others claim the Roman Catholic Church may have decided to celebrate in mid February to "Christianize" the pagan Roman celebration Lupercalia.
The first Valentine sent in the United States was in the 1840's by Esther Howgald.
Most of us enjoy "spoiling" a loved one on Valentine's Day. Sending gifts and cards conveys love, affection, and friendship.
There is no biblical reason why Christians should not celebrate Valentine’s Day by giving their loved ones flowers, candy and/or cards.
As with celebrating any holiday, the decision should be between the individual and God.
Some people feel very strongly that observing any secular holiday is wrong, while others see it as harmless.
The important thing to remember is that celebrating or not celebrating holidays should not be a cause for pride or division among Christians.
God reveals Himself to mankind in the role of a Father in several contexts. The most important is that of a spiritual Father.
Thus, Christians experience a God who expresses all the qualities of a loving Father.
- He gives us life (John 3:3);
- He loves us (John 3:16);
- He rewards our efforts (Hebrews 11:6);
- He communicates with us through His Word (John 17:17; Ephesians 1:13; Colossians 1:5; 1 Thessalonians 2:13);
- He corrects us lovingly (Hebrews 12:3-11).
And, most important, God will grant us the ultimate gift, eternal life in His Kingdom through His grace if we repent of our sins and obey His commands .
To experience God as a personal, caring, loving Father, you have to receive Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. You will become a child of God and begin the fulfilment of the reason you were created by God.
Say the following prayer:

“Father God, I confess I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You. 
I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and live a new life pleasing to You.
Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again.
I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer.
I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Thank You that according to Your Word, I am now Your child, and I am born again.
Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. I promise to study Your Word – the Bible.
Please use me for Your glory.
In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.” 

RELATED POSTS:

History of Valentines 
Day
I Love You More Everyday
Kisses in the Bible

What role do kisses play in the Bible?
"My Jesus, I Love Thee"        

      William R. Featherston

Tommy Walker - from Generation Hymns 2DotNet

lyrics
1. My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine;
For Thee all the follies of sin I resign;
My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.
2. I love Thee because Thou hast first loved me,
And purchased my pardon on Calvary’s tree;
I love Thee for wearing the thorns on Thy brow;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.
3. I’ll love Thee in life, I will love Thee in death,
And praise Thee as long as Thou lendest me breath;
And say when the death dew lies cold on my brow,
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.
4. In mansions of glory and endless delight,
I’ll ever adore Thee in heaven so bright;
I’ll sing with the glittering crown on my brow,
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.

gotquestions.org



 



No comments:

Post a Comment