Saturday, April 8, 2017

HOLY MONDAY - Holy Monday is the day on which Jesus cleansed the temple, was praised by local children, and cursed the fig tree. It is the day following Palm Sunday, when Jesus came to Jerusalem in the Triumphal Entry.

Holy Monday
What is Holy Monday?

In Christianity, Holy Monday is the last Monday prior to Easter Sunday.

It is the second day of Holy Week after Palm Sunday.

Some denominations celebrate Holy Monday, and some do not.

The Eastern Orthodox Church observes the day, typically marking it with Bible readings and certain hymns.

According to tradition, Holy Monday is the day on which Jesus cleansed the temple, was praised by local children, and cursed the fig tree (Matthew 21:12-22).

It is the day following Palm Sunday, when Jesus came to Jerusalem in the Triumphal Entry (Matthew 21:1-11).

The following day is sometimes referred to as Holy Tuesday, the third day of Holy Week.

We should note that events in the biblical Gospels were not necessarily written in chronological order.

Also, since the Romans and the Jews had different methods for calculating the start of a day, an exact sequence of events is difficult to determine.

For these reasons, we cannot be dogmatic about the chronology of events leading up to Jesus’ betrayal and crucifixion.

Holiness is a requirement for the Christian. “Without holiness no one will see the Lord” (Hebrews 12:14).

The difference between God and us is that He is inherently holy while we, on the other hand, only become holy in relationship to Christ.

To be “holy” means that we are “set apart for honorable use.”

Whereas we were “once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures . . . Jesus our Savior . . . saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit” (Titus 3:3-5).

The Lord took the initiative to pull us out of our former lifestyles. He saved us, cleansed us, and set us apart for righteousness.

If we have believed in Christ for salvation, we have been washed by the regeneration of the Holy Spirit and set apart from the world for godliness (Romans 12:2).

The pursuit of holiness does not end when we come to Christ.

In fact, it just begins!

This is a positional holiness that we inherit after we are born again.

And there is a practical holiness which we must actively pursue.

We only increase in practical holiness as we mature spiritually. The New Testament emphasizes the pursuit of holiness in this world and the final attainment of holiness in the world to come.

God expects us to cultivate a lifestyle of holiness (1 Peter 1:14-16).

He commands us to “cleanse ourselves of all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God” (2 Corinthians 7:1).

Bringing holiness to “perfection” means that we should be increasing in spiritual fruitfulness every day.

We are to consider ourselves “dead to sin” (Romans 6:11).

We refuse to revert back to our former lifestyles.

In this way we “cleanse [ourselves] from what is dishonorable,” becoming vessels for “honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master . . . for every good work” (2 Timothy 2:21).

Holiness is the mark of every true Christian (1 John 3:9-10).

Cultivating a lifestyle of holiness does not mean that we must draft a list of do’s and don’ts to live by. We are free from the letter of the law which kills (2 Corinthians 3:6).

And now live according to the dictates of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:16-18).

God’s ultimate desire for His people is that we be holy—conformed into the image of His Son, Jesus (Romans 8:29; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-4).

Holiness is the will of God for our lives.

The flesh is weak (Mark 14:38).

None of us will reach sinless perfection in this world, but God has made provision for our sin. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

Our pursuit of holiness in this world includes daily confessing and forsaking sin.

God helps us in our weakness by giving us His Holy Spirit who reveals the mind of Christ to us and enables us to carry out His will (1 Corinthians 2:14-16; Philippians 2:13).

When we yield to the Spirit, we become fruit-bearing Christians, yielding a harvest with which God is well pleased (Galatians 5:22-23).

God was gracious enough to redeem us from sin and death and give us new life in Christ.

You can accept God’s mercy and offer of forgiveness now, start a holy life and be pleasing to Him.

Say this prayer:

“Father God, I confess I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You.

I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and live a new life pleasing to You.

Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again.

I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer.

I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Thank You that according to your Word, I am now born again.

Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. I promise to study Your Word – the Bible.

Please use me for Your glory.

In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.” 

RELATED POSTS: 

,
.
ONLY GOD IS HOLY.

How can we be holy? 

.



CLICK HERE . . .

http://puricarefiles.blogspot.com/2017/01/holiness-difference-between-god-and-us.html

. .

The Holiness & Beauty in Worship 

.

.

.





CLICK HERE . . .

http://puricarefiles.blogspot.com/2016/11/worship-lord-in-beauty-of-his-holiness.html

. 
Maundy Thursday
The Importance of Maundy Thursday 

.

CLICK HERE . . .

http://puricarefiles.blogspot.com/2017/04/maundy-thursday-word-maundy-is-derived.html

 .

“When I Look Into Your Holiness
.
     Kent Henry     


CLICK HERE . . . for complete playlist . . .

http://puricarefiles.blogspot.com/2017/01/when-i-look-into-your-holiness-when-i.html



lyrics

When I look into Your holiness
When I gaze into Your loveliness

Your loveliness
When all things that surround become shadows
In the light of You
In the light of You

When I've found the joy of reaching Your heart
When my will becomes enthroned in Your love
When all things that surround become shadows
In the light of You
Light of You

I worship You I worship You
I worship You worship You
The reason I live is to worship You

I worship You
I worship You (You are my God) I worship You
The reason I live is to worship You

When I look into Your holiness
When I gaze into Your loveliness
Your loveliness
When all things that surround become shadows
In the light of You
In the light of You
In the light of You

When I've found the joy of reaching Your heart
Reaching Your heart
When my will becomes enthroned in Your love
When all things that surround become shadows
In the light of You
It's the reason that I live

I worship You I worship You
I worship You
The reason I live is to worship You

I worship of You with all my heart
I worship You worship You
The reason I live is to worship You
.
Holy Monday Calendar:
2018 – March 26
2019 – April 15
2020 – April 6
gotquestions.org 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment