Wednesday, April 12, 2017

- JESUS FELT FORSAKEN - Jesus knew His mission on earth would take Him to the cross. Jesus presents the ultimate example of the innocent sufferer, which is the focus of Psalm 22. Although innocent, He took the punishment so that others could be saved.

Why Did Jesus Feel Forsaken?

the ESV Study Bible
. 
Before Jesus died on the cross, the gospel accounts record seven specific statements that He made.
Perhaps the most enigmatic of these comes from Matthew's gospel.
On the day of Jesus' crucifixion, the sky grew dark from around noon until 3:00 p.m.
During this time, Christ cried out, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachtani," a phrase that presents a number of questions.
The phrase likely consists of both Hebrew (Eli) and Aramaic (lema sabachthani), which was the common language of the people in Israel at the time.
This would explain why bystanders assumed Jesus called for Elijah in Matthew 27:47.
(Eli, Eli sounds similar to 'Eliyahu, the Hebrew for Elijah). The writer, however, provides the correct translation for us: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Jesus knew His mission on earth would take Him to the cross, since He told His disciples this would happen on a number of occasions.
So, the cry did not imply bewilderment and was intended for the bystanders, many of whom failed to understand.
Matthew, however, wanted the readers to see the deeper meaning.

While such a proclamation from someone who is both fully God and fully human may seem odd, Matthew's gospel in particular emphasizes how the events of the crucifixion correlate with Psalm 22.
Jesus presents the ultimate example of the innocent sufferer, which is the focus of that psalm.
So, Jesus' cry should be considered in the context of innocent suffering that looks forward to a day when "All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord" (Psalm 22:27).
In other words, Jesus took the wrath of God-forsakenness on Himself.
Although innocent, He took the punishment so that others could be saved.
God the Father chose to send Jesus to the cross to show His love and the seriousness of our sin.
Jesus accepted to take our punishment, to save all who would believe.
Why not receive God's gift of salvation and become His child?
Open your heart and say this prayer:
“Father God, I confess I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You.
I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and live a new life pleasing to You.
Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again.
I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer.
I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Thank You that according to Your Word, I am now born again.
Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. I promise to study Your Word - the Bible.
Use me for Your glory.
In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.”
"WHOSOEVER shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved," (Romans 10:13).
RELATED POSTS:
.
Man of Sorrows,
What a Name  
CLICK HERE . . .
FORSAKEN
BY GOD
“why hast thou forsaken me”
CLICK HERE . . .
.
Jesus Became 
Curse for Us
CLICK HERE . . .


“I Stand in Awe(So Amazed) 

     Maranatha
 

lyrics

I stand in awe, so amazed
Totally changed by Your presence forever
Every time I look into Your eyes
I see a glimpse of what I've always wanted to be

Let me be changed, let me be changed in Your presence

I stand in awe, so amazed
Every time I look into Your eyes
I see a glimpse of what I've always wanted to be

Let me be changed, let me be changed in Your presence

I stand in awe, so amazed
Totally changed by Your presence forever
Every time I look into Your eyes
I see a glimpse of what I've always wanted to be

Let me be changed, let me be changed in Your presence



http://www.jesus.org/death-and-resurrection/last-words/why-did-jesus-feel-forsaken.html




No comments:

Post a Comment